Well of the Spedale

The well was built in 1465 by the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala of Siena, to promote the water supply of the hospital and of the houses that overlooked Piazza San Francesco. With the improvement of the city water supply system, which occurred between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the work lost its original functions. A series of restorations during the last century allowed to bring the monumental well back to its former glory.

Information

  • Piazza San Francesco Grosseto