The village, situated on top of a small hill, has kept its original appearance and each house has its own history. Founded in middle of the fifteenth century by the Republic of Siena, the huts form a small village in the heart of the Maremma, with the various dates of the village’s evolution carved on the door of some buildings.
Historical points of interest:
Church of the Visitation of Mary:
The Church of the Visitation of Mary is the oldest building of the village and dates back to the second half of the 15th century. The interior also containes works of considerable artistic merit: a 17th century Visitation, and 19th centuery Madonna and Child with Saints Joseph and Dominic, and a wooden sculpture of the Crucified.
on the left side of the square is Casa Luciani, built in 1500 as evidenced by the date that appears on a stone triangle. It was a public building that housed the rectory and other social services, and warehouses and a mille were located on the ground floor. Inside is a fresco from the Sienese school depicting the Madonna and Child with Saints.