The chapel of the convent was built in 1634, but extensively renovated in 1692. Dedicated to Santa Chiara, the interior has a single nave retains a rich stucco ornamentation that dates back to the last decade of the seventeenth century and are to be considered the only baroque altars left in the city. The restorations of 2006 allowed to read on the high altar the signature of the stucco artist, Domenico Notari of Lugano.
Its current name is due to the Company of San Gherardo, called the Bigi for the color of their mantle, which was granted in use since 1796.
Today it is part of the Le Clarisse Cultural Centre, where cultural events and events take place throughout the year.